Serge Forest is a an industry veteran and successful entrepreneur in the market of software for telecom and Contact Center operators. This blog comments on company initiatives, industry trends, technology and business.

Monday, May 11, 2009

A virtual job...

Could it be the end of tradeshows as we know it? Tomorrow, May 12, Sangoma will participate in its first ever virtual tradeshow. We have been invited by Intel to have a "booth" in their virtual tradeshow called the Intel Embedded eVent (http://intelembeddedevent.com/). It's a pretty cool concept that mimics real life, and that is starting to become adopted by a lot of tradeshow organizations. You can attend keynote sessions, network with peers and 'walk' the virtual tardeshow floor. At companies' booths, you can see product demonstrations and collateral, and even chat online with booth staff. So I'll be on my very first virtual booth duty all day tomorrow.

At the 'show', Sangoma will present how our product line, together with Intel platforms, make ideal building blocks for software-based PBX systems. I stronly encourage everyone to go in during the day and 'drop by the booth' for an online chat.

The virtual tradeshow approach, I find, presents a lot of interesting aspects:
- A lot more people can attend the events due to 'zero cost' of attendance and perhaps even more importanly, the fact that people don't have to loose a few days of work to attend
- The event stays online for a long time, so you don't have to put in all the work in your marketing organization for only 2-3 days of show
- You can present more stuff since you don't have to physically ship all your demos
- You never get a 'bad location' for your booth.
- Booth 'teardown' consists of logging out
- I can perform my booth duty at home, sitting down, unshaven and in my pyjamas if I want ;)

What will be interesting is to see how the event is attended and if booth 'traffic' is good. I am also eager to see the dynamics. Will people engage with booth staff? I promise to report on our experience.

Of course, nothing beats a face-to-face meeting and a hand-shake. I suspect real-life tradeshows will still live for a long time. But in a tough economic and full flu season, going virtual will be very popular I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment